Caledonian Braves vs Cumbernauld Colts
Match Centre

Caledonian Braves vs Cumbernauld Colts

W 3 - 0

Braves score 3 in the second half as they beat Cumbernauld Colts 3-0

League action returned at Alliance Park as Caledonian Braves took on Cumbernauld Colts, who sat 12th in the Lowland League table. Ricky Waddell’s side were looking to bounce back after a disappointing 0-1 defeat to the University of Stirling in the Scottish Cup first round.

If weather could match a game, then this was a perfect match as a miserable afternoon went hand in hand with a miserable opening half. The game started off slightly scrappy with both teams struggling to create any real guilt edge chances. However, Cumbernauld did manage to get the ball down and enjoy more of the possession in the opening exchanges.

Early in the first half, Cumbernauld Colts midfielder Aidan Laverty suffered a suspected dislocated elbow. Replacing Aidan, on came Shawn Brown as the away side looked to turn their possession into a lead.

The first real opportunity for Caley Braves fell to Marc Kelly after a neat ball across goal. As the ball was played into the path of Marc, the striker then couldn’t sort out his feet to finish off the chance and the game remained goalless.

Shortly after, some superb play from Zac Butterworth and Jamie Walker for the home side saw an effort cleared off the line before Luke Main saw his follow up chance go wayward after his follow up effort.

On the stroke of half time, Cumbernauld had a golden chance cleared off the line by Jack Duncan as both sides failed to break the deadlock going into the half time interval.

Seconds into the first half, the home side won a free kick in which Rhys Armstrong took charge of. However, he couldn’t keep it down and saw his free kick rise over the bar.

Braves finally made their dominance count after a floated free kick was headed back across goal by Jack Duncan. Luke Main was quickest to react and poked the ball home to send Braves 1-0 up.

Another chance for the home side was saved after a fantastic run from Cameron Breadner who played the ball into the path of Marc Kelly who smashed it towards the goal. However, the Cumbernuald Colts keeper matched the chance with an incredible save to deny a second.

After a spell of dominance from the Braves, they managed to get a second goal in the 70th minute. Zac Butterworth got the ball and drove at the opposition full back, before cutting inside and firing low across the goal and sending his side 2-0 up.

Shortly after that goal, Caledonian Braves all but killed the game off. Cameron Breadner got on the end of a Zac Butterworth cutback to slot it away and make it 3-0 to the home side.

Breadner had another chance shortly after to make it four, but the winger saw his chance land safely in the keepers’ arms.

In the latter stages of the game, Cumbernauld Colts right back received a second yellow for a late challenge on Rhys Armstrong. Summing up the away sides afternoon and leaving his side with 10 men.

After a scrappy first half Braves came out firing in the second and dominated throughout. They didn’t panic and stuck to their game plan, getting the ball wide and isolating the Cumbernauld full backs. Ricky Waddell will be delighted with the fight they showed in the second half all while keeping a clean sheet in the process.

Next up for Caledonian Braves is a tough away trip to Civil Service Strollers on Tuesday night. A fixture which will be a real test of how much progress they have made this season.

Man of the match – Zac Butterworth